Saturday, December 20, 2014

The Deputy's New Family

The Deputy’s New Family (Love Inspired)
Author:  Jenna Mindel

Number of Pages: 217
Publisher: Love Inspired Books
ISBN-13:  978-0-373-87910-6
Release Date: September 2014
Market: Christian, Romance
Genre: Inspirational

My Rating: 4 of 5 Stars

Description (from the back cover): Because of her painful past, teacher Beth Ryken has one rule when it comes to men and marriage: never fall for a cop.  So when Nick Grey, the new sheriff’s deputy asks her to tutor his young son, she agrees to work with the boy while hoping to avoid the handsome widower.   How will she possibly protect her heart from breaking all over again?

How and Why I Acquired this Book
I entered a contest online, and I won this book!  I received a signed copy from the author. 

My Expectations
I have been reading Christian fiction for about 18 months, and I’d never read anything by Jenna Mindel before.  I also had never read a Love Inspired book.  Because it was a division of Harlequin, I was not sure if it was going to be a sweet romance or if it was going to be a little more involved.

Were My Expectations Met
This book turned out to be a very sweet romance.  I was really happy that it did not get racy.

Prose and Dialogue
The book was well-written.  There was a nice mix of conversation amongst the characters and prose that provided good insights into the characters.  Punctuation and grammar helped this book to be a very quick read.

Characters and Viewpoints
I was able to identify with Beth as a teacher.  She is a caring person, but she chooses the safe path.  She has a great relationship with her mom, yet, there is a communication issue, too.  They never truly talked through her father’s death.  Neither of them fully healed, but they function fine on the outside.  When Nick and his son Corey come into their lives, Beth is faced with her fears, which does lead to her healing.  There is a point in the book where Beth and Nick both say that the other comes with a lot of baggage.  Is not that true of all of us?

Story Structure and Pace
This book was an easy read.  I could have read it in a day if my schedule allowed it.  It was paced well.  There were no places where I wished it would hurry up and move on to the next scene.  It did a nice job leading up to the predictable ending.  I read this type of book because I like happy endings, so predictable is a good thing for me.

Conflict and Tension
The conflict is not very intense in this book.  There are obstacles, but most of them are easy to pass through.  The most intense moments center on the boat ride at the end of the book.  There is tension, but there is not nail-biting suspense.
 
Spiritual Aspect
The scripture quoted before the story begins is Isaiah 43:1-2.  It perfectly sums up the book.  Another scripture that would fit is Isaiah 41:10 “Fear not, for I am with you.”  Everyone in this book has a Christian background.  The big issue is Beth being able to trust God with what she can’t control in her safe little world.

Questions I Have
I wonder why Beth had her car at school in the parking lot while she tutored Corey (p155).  She lived across the street.  Why would she drive to school?  I think this may have been an author oversight.  Oops!

Audience Appropriateness and Appeal
Everything in this book is totally appropriate.  It’s innocent and sweet.  Anyone who enjoys Christian fiction that is evenly paced will enjoy this book.  Anyone who enjoys a clear spiritual message will enjoy this book, too (Trust God, and do not fear!).  If you’re from the Lake Leelanau area of Michigan, you may be particularly interested in reading this story.  It’s fun to read books that feature your geographical area.

Conclusion
Overall, I really enjoyed this book.  I was engaged, and there were times that I didn’t want to put it down.  Personally, I recommend this book. 
Pros:
§  The characters were likable.
§  There was a happy ending. 
§  It was a sweet, innocent romance.
Cons:

§  It could have had more intense conflict.  

No comments:

Post a Comment