Monday, December 29, 2014

Small-Town Billionaire

Small-Town Billionaire (Love Inspired)
Author:  Renee Andrews

Number of Pages: 212
Publisher: Love Inspired Books
ISBN-13:  978-0-373-87909-0
Release Date: September 2014
Market: Christian, Romance
Genre: Inspirational

My Rating: 4 of 5 Stars

Description (from the back cover): As the CEO of Brooks International, Ryan Brooks has money, power and a sought-after family name. But here on his sister’s ranch in Claremont, Alabama, the billionaire only wants to be loved for who he really is. So when small-town shop owner Maribeth Walton ignores him and his valuable business advice, he’s determined to figure out why. Problem is Maribeth knows he’s not sticking around and she won’t let him get close. Or could it be she’s keeping a secret, one that may hold the key to why she’s so reluctant to admit she’s falling for the billionaire?

How and Why I Acquired this Book
I entered a contest online, and I won this book!  It actually came in a pack of 10 free books.  Does it get any better than that? 

My Expectations
Renee Andrews was a new author to me.  However, I recently finished a Love Inspired book, so I had expectations of reading a sweet story.  At the beginning, I was guessing or hoping that Maribeth didn’t want to expand her business because she was perhaps a billionaire herself.

Were My Expectations Met
This book had a great storyline.  It was well-written, and there were some really interesting plot twists.  Was Maribeth a billionaire?  You’ll have to read it to find out.  I don’t like to give away the ending. 

Prose and Dialogue
I finished this book in a day.  It was difficult to put down, and I enjoyed every page of the book.  The dialogue was natural and believable.  The descriptions in the book make me want to visit a dude ranch in Alabama.

Characters and Viewpoints
It’s nice to see the viewpoints of both Maribeth and Ryan.  They each have baggage from past relationships, and that baggage influences their actions and holds them back.  I really appreciated that we saw how Ryan thought through the big issues in his head.  It seemed very likely that a business man would think like Ryan did.  It also showed some spiritual maturity, or maybe that was spiritual newness.  Maribeth, as is often characteristic of women (sorry!), was highly emotional, and wasn’t ready to think the issues through until Ryan showed up at her apartment to help her see truth.  In both cases, we see imperfect people who are loved and forgiven by an awesome God.

Story Structure and Pace
This story had some very interesting twists!  I didn’t want to put it down, which should be obvious because I finished it in one day. 

Conflict and Tension
The book had a good amount of tension from the beginning.  Ryan, as CEO of a Fortune 500 company, is used to getting what he wants, so he pushes for what he sees as a smart business move.  Maribeth resists, and we don’t exactly know why…until the big conflict that spans the last few chapters.
 
Spiritual Aspect
I love the scripture quoted before the story starts.  It’s from Luke 12:2, and it says, “There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known.”  In other words, you can run, but you can’t hide from your past.  Although this is true, the story also shows that “As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us (Psalm 103:12).”

Questions I Have
Because I received the book free, I didn’t look it up to see if it was in a series.  As I was writing this review, I noticed that it is part of the Claremont series.  Hopefully the books can be read independently.  I wonder how much information about each of the characters in this book has been revealed in a past book.  Hmmm….

Audience Appropriateness and Appeal
This book is totally appropriate for anyone who enjoys romantic, Christian fiction.  This will appeal to anyone who lives with secrets from his/her past or has a hard time forgiving him/herself for past actions.  It’s therapeutic.

Conclusion
This is definitely a good read. 
Pros:
§  I enjoyed the conflict.
§  The message is appropriate for our culture and times.
§  Great writing!
Cons: 
§  Nothing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment