Saturday, July 18, 2015

The Sister Circle

Title:                    The Sister Circle
Author:                Vonette Bright and Nancy Moser
Publisher:            Tyndale House Publishers
Market:                Inspirational
Genre:                 Fiction
Series:                 The Sister Circle Series #1
Length:                352 pages
Pub. Date:           December 31, 2002

Description (from Amazon):
The Sister Circle, book one of this charming contemporary series, introduces Peerbaugh Place, the quaint Victorian house that becomes a refuge to seven women of vastly different ages, personalities, and backgrounds. When Evelyn Peerbaugh hung the ancient sign in front of her house, she had no idea how life was about to change. In a matter of days, she became the newly widowed owner of a busy boardinghouse, trying to cope with the lives and emotions of the most incompatible group of women ever gathered under one roof. Through struggles and triumphs, the women forge a special bond of sisterhood. Readers will find their own place in the circle, gaining insight into their own spiritual gifts, as they laugh and cry with each of these women.

My Review:
Without having an e-reader, I found myself looking at the shelves in the library for books.  Because I haven’t read anything by Bright or Moser prior to this book, I decided to check it out.  I liked the idea of a group of women from different backgrounds coming together.  I was not disappointed by this book.

I enjoyed how real the characters were.  I could see their flaws in me or another person I know.  I loved seeing how God was working in each of their lives, and how He used each of them to teach one of the other women.  The book seems to answers critics.  For example, May talks about how long it takes men to get to know each other versus how long it takes women to get to know each other.  The women quickly come to know details of each other’s lives, and they encourage each other to become better.  Their lives come together and provide for each other in ways the women didn’t know that they needed.  It’s amazing how different the characters are – personalities, behaviors, patterns of speech, and the authors keep true to each character.

Through reading this book, I identified with personality traits of one of the characters, and frankly, I didn’t like it.  What I did like is the thought that God loves all people, no matter their flaws.  God puts people into our lives to allow iron to sharpen iron and work out those negative personality traits.  Thank you Jesus!  There is good character development in this book.  The women recognize their flaws, and the allow God to change them.

The writing was great.  There was a nice mix of background and dialogue.  I believe there is some foreshadowing to what the next book in the series may explore, but I could be wrong.  Without spoiling a scene, there is one thing I hope is answered.  There is acceptance of a situation in this book, yet it is a loose end.  It’s something I want to know how it turns out.  I wonder about the connection, and it makes me want to read the next book to find out!

I didn’t like how quickly one character went from where she was to being saved.  I would have liked to know more about what she was going through.  I also don’t know if I liked the romance between Evelyn’s son and another resident.  These are minor issues.  They aren’t deal breakers. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this book.  I want to continue with the other books in the series.  I would recommend it for anyone who likes stories about women learning to get along while edifying and encouraging each other.  It’s a book that will bring tears to your eyes in places, and make you smile and chuckle in other places. 

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment